UAS CDC Background & Overview
The UAS CDC is an MOD capability set up as an intelligent customer function in the UAS Evaluation space. It serves the widest possible audience, from researchers to operators across MOD (all Services, warfare centres, development/evaluation units) and supports Industry and OGD where appropriate and practicable.
The UAS CDC provides a focus for UAS expertise that facilitates the development, delivery and use of enablers to UAS capability development, including training, as cost effectively as possible by:
- Providing resource to assist initial planning and help identify optimum ways and means to achieve goals;
- Delivering a knowledge hub to help interested parties to more quickly identify existing resources and resources to achieve project outcomes.
UAS CDC resource is available to the Front Line Commands, Dstl and other MOD agencies. Support to Other Government Departments (OGD) and their Agencies may be supported as appropriate. The UAS CDC Management Board will consider requests for support from industry or OGD, as long as they describe demonstrable and enduring benefit to MOD’s contribution to UK national security and defence.
Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology (MinDEST) confirmed the UK Government commitment to Unmanned Systems. Specific studies and publications recognise that:
- The MOD should bring coherence to existing and future layered UAS capability by adopting a common UAS enabling infrastructure (UAS Capability Investigation1).
1. UAS CI was a MOD/industry investigation in 2009 to determine the UK’s military UAS capability requirement and identify how it should be delivered.
- A Joint UAS Centre of Excellence could be the most effective way of co-ordinating UAS test, evaluation and development for the UK (JDN 2/11).
Opportunities for Industry
The UAS CDC affords Industry the opportunity to influence solutions to emergent MOD problems or questions and the shape of the UK UAS Test & Evaluation (T&E) capability, e.g. by contributing to MOD UAS T&E ‘road mapping’. The UAS CDC aims to seek support from Industry on such matters as requirements definition work, short duration tasks and UAS CDC workshop attendance.